Sunday, April 3, 2011

Le Rat de Ville: City Thrifting

In my previous post, I recounted my experiences as a country mouse, thrifting in a small town. I found some brilliant pieces, and even more brilliant prices. Then I spent time as a city mouse, and went thrifting in Portland. (Confused by all this talk of mice? Read the previous post first.)

We went to Portland for a long weekend and I took the opportunity to hit up some thrift shops. I was especially excited to go to the Buffalo Exchange. I'd only been to one before, in San Antonio, and remembered it being really trendy. I didn't, however, recall the prices. Maybe it was because I'd just had my incredibly inexpensive experiences as the country mouse, but I couldn't help but be a bit indignant. Twenty bucks for a used skirt? Are you sure? Those prices really put my rationalization skills to the test. I shelled out $16 for this skirt after reasoning that it was not only super darling, comfortable, and machine washable, but also featured an elastic waistband, making it eligible for future maternity wear. That's like getting 2 skirts for the price of one, right? That makes it okay. Yes, it does.

Skirt: Consigned / Tank & Jacket: Thrifted / Shoes: TJ Maxx (Bandolino) / Necklace: Buckle clearance / Bracelet: France / Headband: Target

Did you notice that I paired it with my $3 jacket and 99 cent tank from my small town thrifting? That made me feel a bit better about the cost of the skirt.

I also gave up $15 for this versatile basic skirt from Banana Republic. It has pockets, which I simply love. It's also machine washable! Finding that little phrase on a tag often determines whether or not I will purchase an item. 

Skirt, Shoes: Consigned / Top: J Crew clearance / Short Necklace: Elder Beerman / Long Necklace: Ruche / Earrings: Icing /  Bracelets: France / Jolies Fleurs*: c/o the Thoughtful Husband / Heavenly Scent: c/o les Jolies Fleurs

This price trend continued to the other thrift shops I visited. Not that it stopped me from finding excellent pieces and forking over the plastic for them. Just discouraged me a bit, is all it did. For example, when I saw the $22 tag on this Ann Taylor skirt at Sequel, I said "No way!" and tried to make my fingers stop caressing the little velvet ribbon that trims the top. Then I saw that it was on a rack marked 50% off. Oh, quelle chance!* Suddenly, I could hardly recall purchasing a skirt for less than $3. Sales are tricky like that:

Skirt & Tank: Thrifted (I told you that tank was versatile!) / Cardi: Gabes (AE) / Shoes: TJ Maxx (Bandolino) / Necklace: Buckle clearance

At the same shop I also found this nautical Ann Taylor skirt ($14) and J. Crew blazer ($17). The prices are ouchie, I know. But the jacket is machine washable, possibly not even used by the looks, and was on my list of pieces to look for, and the skirt goes with it oh so well:

Skirt & Jacket: Thrifted / Top: J Crew final sale / Shoes: TJ Maxx (AE) / Earrings: Icing / Necklace: Elder Beerman / Bracelets: France

And, perhaps my favorite find, these Sofft shoes. Have you ever worn Sofft shoes? They're like clouds for your feet. I got my first pair from Gabes back East (more on Gabes later) for $29 new. They're originally priced at ~ $100. I found this pair for $16, and you can hardly tell they're used! I felt like I was on Cloud 9, metaphorically and literally, when I slipped these lovelies on (worn above with the BR skirt):


Finally,  I would be remiss if I didn't confess that I also used my opportunity as a city mouse to hit up a few shops I rarely get to frequent since I spend most of my time as a country mouse these days. Shops like a brick & mortar J. Crew Factory and H&M (!). Those pieces will be featured in upcoming posts. Meanwhile, I'm back to being a country mouse, and appreciating it in an all new light.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*quelle chance! = what luck!; les jolies fleurs = pretty flowers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

Jaime said...

OH so much to say...I am loving the new outfits. You are too cute.
I give Scotty boy an A++ for the pic.'s and yeay for you that you figured out the multi picture thing.
I think the bows are so you. Sweet and inocent. heheehe.

Rosy (of Raindrops on Rosy) said...

Of course you would find wonderful lovely things in my beautfiul oregon! I need to go to buffalo exchange again soon:) I love that tweed looking skirt so cute!

Cassi said...

Thanks, ladies! I can't wait to explore more of beautiful Oregon! (And I wish Buffalo Exchange were closer to me, but it's probably a good thing that it's no...I don't have that kind of restraint!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...