Saturday, August 6, 2011

Lake Como Biking & Cliff Jumping: 30x30 Outfit 11

Top: J Crew final sale / Jean Shorts: Gabes (J Brand ) / Shoes: Privo / Earrings: Urban Outfitters / Sunnies: TJ Maxx (Oscar de la Renta)

On this afternoon, the Husband and I rented bicycles to explore some of the lake and it's quaint villages.


We came across beautiful scenery and Scott went for a swim while I watched swans and duckies play...


...and we laughed from a bridge as a mama duck fed her floating baby fuzzballs. They were so cute, patiently waiting as she dove under water until she surfaced. Then they'd zoom towards her and she'd feed them in turn. Très adorable.



After returning the bikes, we went back to the apartment and made dinner with the Russells. We'd gone to the market for pasta, vegetables, sauce, bread, and ingredients for caprese salad. The mozzarella and tomatoes here are out of this world, especially tossed with fresh basil, arugula, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.

That night we played Rook, a favorite old game of my family, though I'm nonetheless an expert. The more interesting part of our day, however, took place this morning. Scott and Rand took off super early this morning in search of this waterfall along the Domaso river. They had no idea how far it was from the town. They just knew to follow it into the mountains and hope they came cross it soon. They arrived back late morning with a few videos of their own and these photos...


So of course, I wanted to go! After lunch, Scott took me to find the falls again. You'll pass classic Italian homes and frescoes on the way {I've never seen so many Virgin Mary tributes as I saw in Italy. They're everywhere. Along roads in the middle of nowhere. On abandoned buildings. Apartment walls. Restrooms. Etc.}...


Then once you get to this bridge, you climb down to the river. Part of the time you can hike along the side, climbing the rocks and walls from the old series of dams, but you have to wade some, too.


And then you come to the falls. I decided to jump from the lower one, because the pool was bigger. Scott swam around first to make sure it was deep enough.


I had to get up my nerve again. Waterfalls always get the best of me. The rushing water when I surface makes me a bit claustrophobic, especially when the fall is this wide. Fortunately, there were hikers passing and their presence encouraged me. Nothing like losing face in front of a bunch of Italians I'll never see again.


After we'd each had several goes...

 
...the Husband tried to let the current just wash him over, but it wasn't fast enough. I only dared dangle my legs.


When we'd finally had our fill of jumping, we made our way back to town. Scott found a new little friend along the way and I discovered several of these signs at the entrance, which the Husband had conveniently not pointed out to me on the way in and was thankful I didn't see them. He's wise, that one. I'm glad I didn't see them too.


P.S. Ha! I thought I'd get up two posts a day, and I'm getting two a week instead. Sorry I'm so slow. I promise to get the next one up soon, exploring a gorge in Bellano and the fancy Villa Carlotta on the lake.

4 comments:

Siouxzy said...

Fun!!!!

LePetiteLemon said...

Love your blue checkered shirt! Looks like you both had fun! It's such a pretty area! I loved the action scenes of you jumping off the waterfall....I'd be too scared to do that! =P

From Suns To Moons said...

Oh my, these photographs are so beautiful. And so is your ensemble for the day!

Linda Z said...

Love this easy, summer outfit! And the scenery ain't bad either... swoon!!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...